Thursday, June 22, 2017

How Miss New Jersey 2014, Cierra Kaler-Jones is using her passion for dance and education to reach her dreams.



Cierra Kaler-Jones was crowned Miss New Jersey  in 2014



Cierra Kaler-Jones is no average student. She is a former Miss New Jersey, current graduate student and professional dancer. 

“This morning I did community service before going to work and tonight I have rehearsal. After rehearsal, I'll stay up conducting research for my independent study. I also run a program that offers free visual and performing arts to girls of color.” Kaler-Jones said. 

Kaler-Jones, 23, Rutgers University alum and professional dancer, is currently a graduate student at George Washington University. She is working towards her master’s degree in education & human development.

“I usually balance work and schoolwork throughout the day and rehearse at night.” KalerJones said.
Dance has been a major part of her life and she wants to use education to help give that same passion to others.

“When I dance I feel an extension of myself, more beautiful, more powerful.” Kaler-Jones said. 

Growing up in New Jersey, Cierra Kaler-Jones passion for dance started when she was five years old. “I was born with Development Dysplasia”. Kaler-Jones said. Development Dysplasia of the Hip (DDH) is a dislocation of the hip in a newborn baby. DDH usually is diagnosed within 6 months of birth and can be treated with a brace or harness. Risk factors like being a female, and the first child, can increase a baby’s risk according to the Arthritis Foundation. “My mom put me in dance classes, to help me be more normal. I had to wear a brace,” said Kaler-Jones. 

Despite her disorder, her mom noticed early on that she had an interest in dance. “My mom said I would light up every single time, I saw someone dance on TV,” Kaler-Jones said. 

Cierra described herself as a child that just couldn’t stop moving. Her mom knew she had to do something with her. 

“Since Cierra was a little girl, she never stopped moving. Some things never change,” said Becky Kaler-Border, who is Cierra’s mom.

Once her mom enrolled her in dance classes, she just could not stop dancing. She added on a dance class every year, until she took all of them at her dance studio. 

While Cierra was attending Absegami High School in Galloway, New Jersey, the school cut the dance program. “I was a junior in high school, when the dance program was cut due to budgets,” Kaler-Jones said. She felt crushed, and that’s when she realized how much dance really meant to her.
 
“I started making public speeches on the importance of the Arts.” Kaler-Jones said. 

Her passion for dance made her move past her shy ways, and start fighting and speaking for something that meant a lot to her. “I was a naturally a shy introverted person. Dance helped give me the confidence to speak publicly.” Kaler-Jones said. 


Kaler-Jones pictured in red  at the  Miss America pageant


That confidence was needed as she started competing in pageants. Competing in pageants gave Cierra a platform to perform for larger audiences and also win scholarships. Cierra competed 4 times before winning the title of Miss New Jersey in 2014 and going on to Miss America. The Miss America Organization is one of the country’s largest pageant systems, advocating in women’s education, and providing scholarships to young women in the United States.

 “Being the local hometown girl and performing on that stage was amazing! “ Kaler-Jones said. 

 She credits her success in pageants to her dance talent. “My dance ability allowed me to be able to be as successful as I was in pageants. I was able to make people feel something and that helped me win. Its set me apart” Kaler-Jones said. 

"When Cierra dances, she pours her soul into every movement.” Said Ashley Thomas, who is Cierra’s best friend and dance partner. 

Kaler-Jones performing a dance routine.

Cierra’s Passion for education is equally as strong as her passion for dance. After she graduates in May, she will be pursuing her P.H.D. Cierra is the first in her family to receive her bachelor’s degree. 

“Growing up my parents couldn’t help me with my homework, which was sometimes frustrating for us all.” Kaler-Jones said.

Beyond her circumstances and success in dance, her values for education has always remained a priority.

 “Education is the one tool to get you out of adversity. You can be stripped away of everything but, no one can take away what’s in your mind. I want to use the Arts as a way to help, to help people overcome struggles.” Kaler-Jones said. 

Cierra’s future surprisingly doesn’t include being a professional dancer.  

 “I think this is it as far as being a professional dancer. I love teaching. I’m going to use my dancing ability in the form of education rather than strictly professional. Become a professor, work in nonprofit, or government” Kaler- Jones said.  

Some people never find their passion in life. At 23, Cierra is using her passions for dance and education to create a brighter future for herself and others.

“Dancing allows me to show my heart. It allows me to be more comfortable in my skin”.

Follow Tiara Obsessions on social media:
Twitter/snapchat @tiaraobsessions
Instagram: tiaraobsessionsmag
YouTube: TiaraObsessions
Facebook: TiaraObsessions
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig