Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Tiara Talk: "My First Pageant"





I have always had an interest in modeling, since I was really young. I was always naturally slim, and during my pre-teen years I was slim, lean and had this odd point in where I appeared taller than a lot of girls my age but, then I just stayed that height after a while lol. I constantly got comments from strangers and family about modeling, so it naturally became something I was interested in. Now ......of course I know pageants and modeling are two different things but, I assumed since I did some modeling (fashion shows, loved taking pics) that I would be perfect in pageants.......WRONG!

 I did my very pageant when I was 17 years old. I was recently out of high school and pageants were not high on my radar. I grew up watching Miss USA and Miss America on TV like most pageant girls but, I never saw it as something that I could do.....pageants. I used to look at those girls as being this almost fairytale version of the best characteristics you could only dream of being. From their effortless beauty, to their articulated answers and gowns that would make your jaw drop.

Yes, modeling is a part of pageantry but pageants are so much more than that.

Somehow, a letter came in the mail about a pageant. It was a National American Miss (NAM) pageant. I was not familiar with pageants at all, I didn't know how huge the National American Miss system was, and I honestly didn't know much about it at all. I just knew I wanted to enter and see what pageants were all about.



 I went into pageants completely blind. I knew I needed a nice gown, and I knew that they had all of these categories that you could enter.  I did have a great gown that I happened to find for a really great price. I don’t remember exactly how much it was but it was less than $50.

 I don't have that gown anymore but, I do remember it was cream, with gold sparkles, it sparkled like a disco ball and the straps didn't fit that well lol.

 Social Media was not as huge back then, so I don't have any pictures...I know that may sound crazy lol! I really wish it did, so I could have pictures of that moment.

 I remember going to the pageant, seeing all of these girls, the stage and thinking "What did I get myself into??".  

 When it came to interview I was completely unprepared. I wrote on my bio sheet in pen (which is a huge No!). I wore this black pant suit that had strips in it, it did absolutely nothing for me. I went in that interview room and saw girls in these bright colored suits with skirts.... I automatically felt so out of place.  For the interview, you had to sit at a table to speak to the judges and I remember a judge asked me a super simple question like “What’s your favorite movie?”  I don't remember what I said. I just knew that I basically said "ummm, idk" and couldn't relay think of anything (how embarrassing!). Let’s just say I did not win interview.



 National American Miss, also has an onstage introduction category that you are scored on, I completely made up something on the spot. I remember watching this one girl , and she clearly had her intro memorized and even sang in hers....she also ended up winning  for that division.

 To sum it up, my first pageant, did not go as well as I envisioned it would go. Honestly, I did not feel great about it. I left feeling bad, insecure and just not great overall. However, after some time passed, I wanted to do another pageant. And that was the start of my “Tiara Obsession”.

 I had to learn in every experience you are not going win, whether it’s a pageants or in life. You have to learn from your experiences and use them to help you grow. That is what I did, and what I continue to do.  




I would have never thought, that my first pageant experience would have led me to something I love till this day (even though I haven't competed in  a few years ). I have had some great, memorable experiences from competing in pageants. It has helped me with so many things ....that I will talk about in a future blog post. Of course, if it wasn't for that first time, I wouldn't have started this blog. Which I love doing!!

My first pageant wasn’t perfect, but it was mine.


* I couldn't find pics from my first pageant, thanks to disposable cameras...these are pics throughout my pageant years.

Join us for our first Twitter chat on March 7th at 8pm! We will talk about First Pageant Experiences. Use the hashtag #TiaraObsessions Subscribe on YouTube  and Follow on Twitter @tiaraobsessions to join us for a twitter chat !

XoXo- Shadei
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig